If anyone had told me a year ago that the majority of my friendships would be maintained in a technological realm, I would have laughed. Partly because I was "under the thumb" of a very insecure, very controlling man and also because I was pretty much cyber socially unaware. I had only had a myspace because my husband did and then after the divorce, I had a facebook I was forced to give up by the follow up boyfriend.
To think that only 10 years ago, I had a cell phone as a follow up to the beeper (totally dating myself here), kind of like back in the day of the "phone in a bag". My how times have changed! Now I am addicted to social media and I don't care. I have met some of the nicest people online, reconnected with friends I lost due to my inability to manage a relationship and friendships simultaneously and kept up with family members that are far away. I have a G+ account, a GetGlue account, a Foursquare account, a Facebook account and a Twitter account. I have friends across oceans and friends across town. Although at times I fear that we may be plugging into the "Matrix", I cannot think of what kind of emotional state I would be in were it not for my social media outlets.
So hat's off to the maker of FB, the inventor of Twitter, the first blogger.... I for one, appreciate this outlet you have created in order for me to connect with those in my life and those yet to come. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment